Elections are supposed to be simple, right? Candidates debate, we decide who we believe, and we vote. But elections today expose voters to utter chaos.
- First, candidates launch campaigns for office.
- Candidates give speeches and debate issues.
- Journalists report on the candidates; some slant coverage, some fact-check claims.
- Opinion pages and pundits promote their candidates; some exaggerate their claims.
- Social media fills with shares, tweets, and slander; some without a shred of truth.
- Bots masquerade as real people to spread misinformation.
Ultimately, the voter is surrounded with noise from bogus or slanted sources, crowding out attention on candidates themselves.